About John Boyle
John Boyle was born in the Donegal Gaeltacht in 1964. He is the eldest in a family of nine, four of whom are teachers. He now lives in Templeogue, Dublin with his wife Carmel. John attended Mullaghduff N.S., Scoil Naomh Dúigh, Annagaire and Pobalscoil Chloich Cheannfhaola before he entered St. Patrick’s College of Education in 1983.
Standing up for Teachers
John Boyle has been an INTO activist throughout his career in teaching. He was staff representative and a member of branch committee in the late 80’s when teacher unemployment, low salaries, increasing class sizes and interest rate hikes were pressing issues for our members. John represented his branch at annual Congress for 18 years and served as Branch and District Cathaoirleach. He was elected by nearly 3000 teachers in Tallaght, South County Dublin, Craobh Chualann,Craobh Dhun Laoghaire, Blessington, Wicklow, Arklow and Rathdrum Branches to the Central Executive committee annually since 2004. John became INTO Vice-President at Easter 2016.
- Involved in local development as a teenager at establishment
of Donegal Airport, Cruit Island Golf Club and Ionad Pobail
- Founding Chairperson of Youth Enrichment Whitechurch (YEW) – a Dept. of Justice intervention scheme.
- Chairperson Ballyboden Family Resource Centre.
- Rainbows Facilitator
- South Dublin County Council Person of the Year award for voluntary work in disadvantaged community.
St. Colmcille’s J.N.S. Knocklyon, 2000 - date:
As principal teacher of one of Ireland’s largest schools, have led a staff of 60 in the delivery of excellent early years education, and have spearheaded school community’s campaign for a new school building which opened in 2014.
Scoil Mhuire Ballyboden: 1986-2000:
As teacher and Home-School Liaison Co-ordinator in DEIS 1 school, played significant part in improvement of Special Education provision, ICT facilities, school environment and sports grounds.
Sports and Social
- Committee member Donegal Association (Dublin).
- Committee member South Dublin Sports Partnership.
- Committee member Club na Múinteoirí.
- Chairman Board Oversight Committee Comhar Linn INTO Credit Union
- Former Secretary of three GAA clubs - Naomh Mhuire (Donegal), Erin’s Hope and Wanderers (Dublin).
- Cathaoirleach Cumann na mBunscol Átha Cliaith.
- P.R.O. Mullaghduff Fife and Drum Band.
Trade Union Track Record
National Office 2004 to date:
- Central Executive Committee representing District VIII 2004-2016
- Served on following sub-committees : Pay Equality Project Team; Employment Task Force; Participation Committee; Rules Committee; Special Education; Leadership; School Buildings; School Inspection.
- Represented INTO on NCCA ICT Committee, Education Committee of Inclusion Ireland
- Vice-President 2016-2017
Local INTO involvement 1986 – 2004:
- Staff representative and Congress delegate.
- Cathaoirleach South County Dublin.
- Media Co-ordinator District VIII.
- Cathaoirleach District VIII.
- Relevant Representation.
- Member of Steering Committee National Pilot Project for Teacher Induction (NPPTI).
- Member of ICT Steering Committee National Council for Curriculum and Assessment (NCCA).
- Member of INTO deputations to meetings with School Managerial Authorities, Dept. of Education and Science and Minister for Education and Science.
- Member of INTO Subcommittees on School Discipline, Trade Union Training, School Leadership, School Buildings, Professional Development, Rules, Probation and Induction
- Delegate to ICTU Conferences.
- Regularly represented INTO viewpoint in national and regional newspapers.
- Conducted numerous television and radio interviews on education issues.
- Featured in INTO digital video productions.
Work / Life Balance
- Friend of Civic Theatre, Tallaght.
- Member of Amnesty International.
- Member of F.A.I., I.R.F.U. and Donegal G.A.A. supporters clubs.
- Member of Mullaghduff Senior Fife and Drum Band
- Interested in Sports, The Arts, Travel, Cooking, Current Affairs, History and all things Irish.